Project: Screen Time
Services: UI/UX Design, Visual Design, Web Design
I loved working as Lead Designer for the startup Screen Time Labs and leading everything UI and UX related – the Screen Time app, a parental control app available on Android, iOS and as web app, has millions of users worldwide and has been downloaded by parents more than 2 million times.
The main projects I have worked on were very interesting, both from a UI and UX point of view:
- A total UI redesign of the app
- An improved onboarding experience for all users (parents and kids)
- A Schedules feature to allow parents to block their children's apps
- A Rating & Reviews project to receive App Store and Play store reviews and/or feedback from users
- A Web Filtering feature to allow parents to monitor and block their kids' web usage
- A new Cancellation flow to improve retention and reducing churn
- A Location Tracking feature for parents to see where their children are
- A Geo Trips feature for parents to see the routes taken by their kids
- A Geo Fencing feature for parents to get alerts when their children arrive to specific locations or leave them
Software used: Sketch, Balsamiq, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, GitHub
The UI Redesign
The brief for the user interface redesign was to modernise the current UI, with the goal of having a clean, minimal and functional interface. I really enjoyed the challenge, especially because I redesigned the app with the users in mind and that allowed me to take strategic decisions that would improve the user experience as well. It was great to hear from users that the app was working better when we actually just changed the UI!
I decided to keep the main brand colour throughout the app, a deep blueberry, while removing the accent colour that had previously been yellow. One of the main changes was adding more white space in order for the elements to breathe and to be easily accessible while using subtle elements to display statuses and actions. I also added a few moments of delight in the interaction to improve the overall experience.